Saturday 21 February 2015

Meet the Maker - Maria Made It

Here we have another quick interview, this time with keepsake artist and jeweller Maria Bateson of Maria Made It. 

How did you decide on your business name?
I was making things for friends and they kept saying "Maria made it" it seemed to work!

What year did you establish your business? 
I started making things as presents when my son was little and I was living in Ukraine. I started my business when I returned to the UK in 2013.

What led you to create your business? 
I wanted something to do whilst my son was napping, it was -30 outside so needed to be an indoor activity. I didn't speak any Russian so buying clothes and jewellery was tricky and I had a number of friends who wanted to be able to choose colours etc. I did a mini prints course at the London jewellery school last June and my fine silver work just grew itself from there.

Is there one item that you’ve created which is more memorable than others?
Probably the cufflinks I made for my husband with our children's prints on. They were some of the first cufflinks I made and he loves them.



What’s your most expensive item? 
Cufflinks with hand/footprints on £110

What’s your most affordable item? 
I have fine silver charms starting from £10, with fingerprints from £20 and hand/footprints from £40

What are your plans for your business this coming year? 
I am doing a new course in the next few weeks, hopefully I will have some news after that but I don't want to say too much in case it doesn't happen. I also have lots of ideas for new products and collaborations etc. I am also hoping or have a stand at a big local event.

...and the fun questions!

What is your dream holiday destination? 
I'd love to go back to NZ and I'd love to take my children on safari but I would be happy anywhere as long as my family are there with me.

If you could take a celebrity on holiday with you who would you choose & why? 
Miranda hart (going to see her on Friday night...)

Bikini or swimsuit? Tankini to cover my mummy tummy.

Relax by the pool or explore the area ? Explore always.

What’s your favourite flavour of icecream? 
Our local Italian does panna cotta ice cream yum, but I usually have to share with my daughter so am getting less and less....


One thing you couldn’t live without on holiday? Camera.


If you want to find out more about Maria Made it, please visit the Facebook Page




No comments:

Post a Comment